Monday, February 28, 2011

Travel Paint Set Make-over

Yesterday I spent the afternoon puttering around in my studio; cleaning up, moving piles, and just generally doing nothing really spectacular or artistic but just wasting time. During this putter session I discovered a reasonably nice set of Grumbacher tube water color that I had forgotten I had.
Now lately I have been on a mission to paint more and get better paints, as I have been using a set of Marabu pan colors that I found at an estate sale. There was nothing wrong with the paint, although a couple colors were grainy, it's just sometimes I felt they might not be the greatest paints anymore because of their age. But I kept using them because the set was a nice size for in my bag.



Well I had a bit of an epiphany - I could use the set and round pans, but empty them of the old paint and fill them with the Grumbacher paint instead. I now had a new putter task, one that was useful and exciting. First I popped all the old pans out. When I did this I discovered they were labeled for color on the bottom, very handy, as I could now match them to my new paints.


I proceeded to pop out all the old paint, washed up the mixing tray, and filled the now empty pans with fresh paint.
In the process I discovered with a few less color choices, I had room inside the box for a new mini Niji brush I just got as well as a sharpie pen. So not only did I get new paint but I turned this into a totally portable paint set, everything included.
I am set now for the weather to warm up, so I can go out and paint.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am thinking of a portable set for myself too! I like what you've done with your own.

    ReplyDelete