Monday, January 14, 2013

Museum Visit - Terracotta Warriors

Warrior Horse
Faber-Castell PITT pen size F with
Daniel Smith watercolor wash on
Fawn Stonehenge paper in handmade journal
Quick sketches of carriage horses
and a few objects with notes
Faber-Castell PITT pen size C & F
Fawn Stonehenge paper
On January 10th I visited the Minneapolis Institute of Art with my ceramics students to see the exhibit of China's Terracotta Warriors.  We went through the exhibit with a docent who had loads of information, but was in a rush to get us through to see what she had information about in a specific amount of time.  I sketched as much as I could while we were there but  was also supervising my students and trying not to loose our guide, who slid through the very crowded exhibit space like a ninja.
Our guide was quick to inform us that we could not take photos but she was surprised and had no real answer for me when I asked if I could sketch.  I was the first person she had ask about sketching the warriors.  I sketched and had no problems with museum staff at all.  I did add all the paint on these pages at home, I didn't need to get kicked out.
Quick sketches of  warriors
Faber-Castell PITT pen size F
Fawn Stonehenge paper 
I am planning on going back to the exhibit with my family so I can hopefully sketch more and also enjoy all of the objects I missed while being there with a guide and a school group.  
My two favorites of the day were the horses and the bronze birds both were beautiful and more memorable for me than the warriors themselves.  The exhibit is on display until January 27th and it is highly recommended to get your tickets before you go (I have had friends turned away because the gallery the exhibit is in is too full).  You can follow this link to the Minneapolis Institute of Art webpage for more information if you are interested in more information about the warriors and the exhibit.

Quick sketches of  the bronze Crane
Faber-Castell PITT pen size F
Daniel Smith watercolor washes (added at home)
Fawn Stonehenge paper in handmade journal 



No comments:

Post a Comment